Quest for Clarity

Making sense of life, the Universe and Myself.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Ugly American and proud of it


I had a lovely 4th of July with family and friends at Carisa (Charlie's girlfriend) 's place. No fireworks (Oh yeah, a couple of sparklers), just some barbequed stuff and a hot tub and making music. I sang for a long time, making stuff up to the accompaniment of Alan on conga and Mike on standup bass, and for a while, Theo on the bass. ..I didn't get in the hot tub., being otherwise engaged, mostly with Leone Lomax, my grandson.
Besides, I was so relaxed already. I remarked that if I was in the hot-tub, and someone poked me with something sharp, all my grease would leak out. Alan said, "Like the Exxon Valdez". Actually the imagery I had in mind was more like a sausage in a frypan.
This remark caused a bit of a kerfuffle, a little concern for my grip on reality, until I pointed out that it was hyperbole. Not everyone understands hyperbole, however.
I do love America, madly. What I like about the US ....jazz. Blues. And comic books. And rock'n' roll. And movies. And barbeque.It's fun. The big mish-mosh of influences and currents and being able to express it all loudly, expressively and publicly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home