Quest for Clarity

Making sense of life, the Universe and Myself.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Harper Lee


I love ths woman. She has a great outlook.
(I sincerely hope you've read "To Kill a Mockingbird".) (I'm a bit of a Boo Radley, myself.)
She has written some other articles worthy of note.
I resonated with this one, from which this is a quote :

"If more young people traveled with their eyes and minds open and saw this country, they would have a deeper feeling about it. Adventuring across the country is out of style. Whatever happened to working after school in a grocery store to get enough money to hitchhike to California during your vacation? "

I spent four or five years as an adult travelling by bus or driving or hitchhiking back and forth across this country and Canada. I became intimates with waitresses and truckers, convicts, students, addicts, whores and transients. (Among others.) I have tremendous love for them all which is based on understanding and respect.

When you live among people it's hard to marginalize them or turn them into statistics. People are not numbers. They all are individuals and within the contest of their lives they make sense and deserve consideration, understanding and respect. I know from experience that everyone has gifts to offer and that the least obvious ones are sometimes the best.
Have you seen the movie, "The Mighty?" Well, I loved it.
There are knights and heroes hidden everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home