Quest for Clarity

Making sense of life, the Universe and Myself.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Imagining the Future

At Alan's yesterday what stands out for me is a discussion about why someone wouldn't want to live forever.
Economic issues seemed to be the main concern. Some people seem worried that they would not be able to support themselves as they got older and older. Others were concerned about health issues.
Patty's dream is a symptom of those fears, I think.
I wonder, why imagine that sort of eternity at all? What would lead one to suppose that the "reality" they are experiencing is all there is to experience? Why envision the "same old"? Why not new improved and infinitely improvable? Think Different.

4 Comments:

  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 at 12:05:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I must try your approach in this grand "quest for clarity" sometime.

    Drink an entire bottle of Jagermeister.

    I have finally found the way.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 at 12:15:00 PM EST, Blogger jean said…

    Ha Ha, very funny, McGee!
    Of course you realize that I have been on this "grand quest for clarity" for my whole life and, while it has led me into some interesting and weird places, I have steadily gained what I sought .
    You certainly are not so stupid to think that one bottle of Jaegermeister can confer enlightenment, of course. I wouldn't advise it. I just find it fun sometimes.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 at 12:31:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fun schmun.

    drunk punk

    lady baby mama, aint no lama.....

    I hear a song a brewing.....

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 at 12:42:00 PM EST, Blogger jean said…

    Sour power-
    You're so dour!
    You can put me down
    But it's just your frown.
    You win or lose
    By what you choose.
    I've made my choice
    And found my voice
    So without any fear
    I'll say it clear.
    We can be good friends
    If this sniping ends
    So say what you must
    I have to trust
    Your intelligence
    to make some sense
    Of what I'm saying
    I'm not just braying
    You may think I'm an ass
    But I have true class.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home